Maximizing Operational and Maintenance Performance in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
The Pharmaceutical Industry has always faced significant challenges in optimizing operational performance and maximizing value while delivering much-needed medicines, drugs, biologics, therapies, treatments, and products to the global marketplace. Many of these factors have dramatically influenced market demand, stressed supply chains, and tested the industry during the global fight to end the COVID-19 pandemic. These heightened performance demands have resulted in many operational and maintenance performance challenges, including:
- Sustaining equipment uptime
- Responding to increased downtime and material costs
- Maintaining overall operational quality and performance
- Ensuring compliance to new global regulatory requirements
- Managing global supplier relations
- Ensuring supply chain visibility
- Overcoming bottlenecks due to transportation and logistical issues
- Controlling aging inventory within temperature-controlled storage environments
- Responding to geographic market shifts
Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Faces Many Challenges
Beyond mission-critical operations, maintenance, and supply chain challenges, the Pharmaceutical Industry faces significant upheaval and changes in the competitive landscape itself with mergers and acquisitions (M&A), the growth of revolutionary biologics, niche medicines, and more.
A recent Pharma Manufacturing article predicts significant opportunities and challenges for the US Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Industry going forward, which include innovations and advancements in treatments and technologies, stresses on manufacturing performance, shakeups in the supply chain, and global regulatory challenges.
- Therapeutic innovations such as Biogen's Alzheimer's treatment
- T-Cell banking
- The growth of niche medicines and therapies
- Sterile injectables
- Infectious disease treatment investment
- The biopharma revolution
- The growth of small-scale operations
- Capacity issues
- Workforce talent acquisition, training, and retention
- Integration of new manufacturing equipment and technologies
- Ultra-low temperature (ULT) infrastructure
- Emphasis on quality practices and culture
- Refrigerated storage requirements
- The growth of the high-potency active pharmaceutical ingredient (HPAPI) space
- Secondary sourcing and minimizing stockout risk will give rise to new active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) suppliers
- The importance of novel raw materials
- Investment in reshoring manufacturing and supplier
- Keeping efficiency gains made through policy changes during the pandemic
- Advancement of digital tools by regulators increasing global visibility
- Sweeping changes coming to EMA (Emergency Medicines Agency) Annex 1
Our Unique Approach to Optimizing Performance
Focusing on internal operational performance challenges, external market dynamics, and shifting demand places tremendous pressure on your leadership team, front-line leaders, and the entire workforce. As a result, performance and morale can be negatively impacted. Your agility and responsiveness to demand variability are diminished. Perhaps most importantly, your ability to capitalize on marketplace opportunities, such as new therapies or niche medicines, becomes much more challenging. That's where we come in.
Our unique approach to performance improvement addresses these significant Pharmaceutical Industry manufacturing challenges:
- Front-line leadership skills and behavior development to rapidly improve performance
- Attracting, training, and retaining much-needed workforce talent
- Improving, optimizing, and sustaining manufacturing performance metrics such as:
- Maximizing capacity utilization
- Production volume
- Production costs
- Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
- Defect density
- Rate of return
- On-time delivery
- Right first time
- Asset turnover and return on assets
- Unit cost optimization over time
- Revenue per employee
- Optimizing maintenance performance to maximize uptime, minimize production downtime, lower costs, increase Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) and Total Effective Equipment Performance (TEEP)
- Streamlining supply chain processes to remove bottlenecks, improve time to market, and lower costs
- Reducing overall operational and overhead costs
Aligning Company Culture to Performance Outcomes
Our key difference is an emphasis on your front-line leadership team and how they engage and interact with your people to maximize their performance in critical areas of your organization’s operational health. We call it “operationalizing” your company culture. We align your stated purpose, values, and beliefs to the measurable leadership and workforce attitudes and behaviors, which ultimately influence how decisions are made and performance results are achieved. Then we tie those attitudes and behaviors to improving operational performance outcomes to drive continuous improvement and sustainability of the results. Through this proven process, we help improve your competitive advantage, increase your organization’s overall operational performance, and respond more dynamically to marketplace demands. All of which translates directly to improving your bottom line.
We work with your people directly, side by side, on the shop floor, across departments, according to your health and safety protocols, to train your front-line leaders to impact performance immediately and sustain those improvements over the long haul. Our team is well-versed and experienced in overarching performance approaches like Lean Six Sigma, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, and quality improvement methods. But that is not our focus. We focus instead on the input variable that most impacts performance outcomes no matter what manufacturing operations systems or processes you use: your people and your operational culture. By doing so, we introduce performance improvements that are rapid, sustainable, and embraced by your entire team, from the shop floor to the boardroom.
Ready to optimize performance?
If connecting your stated or desired company culture to your operational performance outcomes is vital to meeting your organization's objectives, we'd like to speak with you. We have significant experience with global Pharmaceutical Manufacturing leaders and can help your organization meet the challenges you face in the ever-dynamic Pharmaceutical Industry marketplace.
To schedule an initial discovery and analysis with our dedicated management consulting team, please call us at +1 866-877-3048, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or provide your contact information here.
PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY CASE STUDIES
POWERS has proven experience with global Pharmaceutical Manufacturing leaders and can help your organization meet the performance challenges you face in the ever-dynamic Pharmaceutical Industry.
Global Specialty Pharmaceutical Maker Our client is a global, integrated specialty pharmaceutical company that produces and markets generic, branded, biosimilar and OTC products spanning the full array of delivery formulations. Following several acquisitions, company leaders wanted to optimally leverage its investments at its No. 1 production site in the Americas. With some 76 different product families, this manufacturing facility is one of the most complex in the company – and in the industry. The client sought to increase the plant’s…READ MORE
PHARMA & MEDICAL INDUSTRY INSIGHTS
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, there doesn’t seem to be one person or business that hasn’t been affected. Over the past few weeks, we’ve been taking a look at how the pandemic is impacting different industries. Specifically, we’ve examined the food and beverage industry as well as the paper industry. Today, we want to take a look at how this public health crisis has affected the medical device manufacturing industry. Recently, medical device manufacturing has been in the spotlight as…READ MORE
MORE INSIGHTS FROM POWERS
During the global fight to end the COVID-19 pandemic and with unprecedented marketplace fluctuation, the Pharmaceutical Industry has faced daunting…READ MORE
When most industrial operations leaders are asked, “What is your Quality Assurance (QA) or Quality Control (QC) process and performance…READ MORE
Any wise CEO knows that their overall success lies in empowering frontline leaders. In doing so, they gain a real-time…READ MORE
As the COVID-19 vaccination roll-out continues across the United States and globally, many individuals have pondered whether to be vaccinated…READ MORE
“I think now we all see a light at the end of the tunnel.” ARJAN MEIJER PRESIDENT AND CEO OF…READ MORE
WE'VE DELIVERED SUSTAINABLE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT FOR MANY MARKET LEADERS
Nor Cal Bev